Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Pictures!



You're all probably wondering what these things even look like, so. I figured I'd show you.
This is a jar of stars - don't make fun of the picture, I'm having a bad camera day. Or the jar. I like funny shaped jars. And no - that is not a thousand. There are like...two. Maybe three thousand in there. Yeah, I know. Unfortunately, these are not the stars with wishes on them. These are all the ones I have left over from the last year or so, after trying to give away as many as I could.






This is a close up of the stars in the jar.
















And this is a look at the stars with the wishes written on them, before and after. Fortunately I write very very tiny. Some of the wishes are so long I have to continue them onto more than one piece of paper - which I am totally ok with since it gives me more stars.
I'm actually waiting for someone to give me the excuse to write a whole story on a sheet of origami paper that I can then cut into strips and make into stars. I think that would be neat.



I have added a few things to the Collective. We have our own email address now, and business cards. Adorable business cards I might add - the little half ones. Feel free to email me with questions or more wishes, anything really.

As for ideas...
I'm going on an adventure for a few days and it is quite liberating. Who wants to go on an adventure and where? And why? What do you want to get away from or get too and how much does it mean to you?

5 comments:

  1. I wish I could adventure my way down to Antarctica. Ever since reading "The Endurance" I've felt the urge to see pack ice and Elephant Island myself and while I know that I could pay a huge amount of money to get my butt on a cruise ship down there, I'd rather work on a boat that actually docks. I don't think I have the words that express how terribly much I want to see leopard seals and penguins and the such as well as feel for myself what it's like to have an Antarctic wind on my face.

    Have fun on your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could visit wartorn parts of the world without fear of personal injury

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I wish I were home right now," she thought, her arms outstretched as she walked through the fog. "Scratch that, I wish I could see where I was going." The fog was high around her and stiffling; so stiffling in fact that when she tried to holler out for her damned cat, the fog got swept down her throat and cut off any sound that she tried to make. This was a difficulty for her, since the only reason she left the house in the first place was to look for her runaway kitty. "If I ever find that thing, I'll teach it there's more than one way to skin a cat."

    The fog was worrying though. She had never seen anything like it in all her twenty-three years. It rose around her, thick as molasses, and such a color of gray that it seemed to almost glow darkly. It was the kind of meteorological event she'd expect to find at sea, if she knew what a sea looked like outside of pictures. She had lived on the Kansas plains all of her life and had never once ventured to the ocean. She would be surprised if she even knew how to swim.

    Another thing that worried her that wasn't exactly fog related was that she hadn't hit the small copse of trees standing thirty feet or so behind the house yet. She had walked straight out the back door of the small house, seen a mist by the woods, walked about ten feet, and then gotten swallowed by the fog that had risen almost immediately. That was roughly ten minutes ago and she had been walking at a brisk but careful pace. She should have walked into one by now.

    A growing fear latched onto her; there were sounds coming from the fog. Sounds like oars gently slapping water and a fog horn, way off in the distance. "This can't be right," she though to herself, continuing to walk ahead because of a primal fear on the back of her neck that told her something was behind. As she walked, the earth beneath her feet changed to something else and she was tempted to stop for a second to feel what it was that it had changed to; something softer than the packed dirt of her backyard but squishy enough to make her shoes completely soaked through. "Nothing worse than wet shoes," she thought.

    The fear grew stronger, but she knew she couldn't run. There was no running here she somehow realized, just as there was no talking. Then, just ahead and above her, there was a line of lights that lit the fog around it. Behind the lights the fog dropped off into darkness. The fear nipped at the back of her neck, strongly, and she understood she had to walk under the line of lights and reach whatever was behind the blackness. Beginning to sweat profusely, she continued on, closing her eyes as she reached the lights, and biting her lip as she passed under them. The feeling of being choked by the fog stopped as a light breeze swept over her face. There was an odd smell in the air; something tangy, old, almost briney.

    She opened her eyes and saw a vast expanse of rolling blue that she immediately fell into with a splash.

    *I'll continue the next time you post*

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wish you were still writing the phial of dawn. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i wish i wished my long list of wishes under this blogdate and not the last so this story would continue...

    ReplyDelete